[Community_garden] need to prove that many community gardens are on public land

Richard Menn rtmenn at verizon.net
Tue Apr 1 21:17:24 EDT 2008

Hello, Rory--

We at Community Gardens of Chester County (PA), a small non-profit which
tries to ameliorate the social isolation of some of our low-income
county residents through community gardening and greening, have just
begun to approach the boroughs of Downingtown and West Chester with
proposals to use public land for purposes similar to yours. One resource
you might consider using in your defense is an article that we've begun
to include in our standard informational packets, which I found at
http://www.nrpa.org/content/default.aspx?documentId=3765. Entitled
"Bloom to Grow," it's right down your alley--an overview of successful
uses of public land for community gardens in various cities across the
country, written for a professional parks and recreation audience by a
former president of the ACGA. (I'll be glad to provide you with a spiffy
four-page, re-formatted version in Word, if you'd like to see it.)

But to the larger question: Clearly, "one of the neighbors" has a
problem with your garden; but how much is known, so far, about what
other neighbors might think? Are all of your gardening families from the
immediate neighborhood? Do any of them know the complainant? . . . etc.,
etc. As you well know, the dynamics of such conflicts can be quite
subtle. Anyway, even as many of us begin to weigh in to help you
consider all of your options, your experiences may in the end save the
rest of us quite a bit of grief as well . . . so please stay in touch!
And if you'd be willing to host visitors from Montgomery or neighboring
counties for an on-site evaluation and confab sometime soon, please
count me in.

Best wishes,

--Dick

Richard T. Menn